Olympiad for the 7th form
I. Cross out the odd word in each line, paying attention to the vowels.
1. tea, sea, death, peas
2. heard, heart, third, hurt
3. south, round, southern, bound
4. shawl, own, blow, show
5. gone, long, ton, cot
6. ear, wear, hear, beer
7. wild, mind, grind, wilderness
8. season, meal, meadow, lean
9. cut, butcher, but, butter
10. bear, share, ear, air
II. Complete the sentences with the correct words.
1. My friend is interested _________medicine.
2. We are going for a walk. Who ________ to go with?
A. is wanting
B. does want
3. She never drinks strong coffee, _________?
A. does not she
B. is she
C. does she
D. is not she
4. She is good _______foreign languages.
5. Could you give me ________ please?
A. a piece of advice
B. an advice
C. a advice
D. some advices
6. The journalist asked me_______.
A. what was my favourite pastime
B. what is my favourite pastime
C. what my favourite pastime was
D. what my favourite pastime is
7. It happened________our way home.
8. By the time we arrived at the station, the train________.
B. has left
C. had left
D. was left
9. If he lived in the country he_______happier.
C. will be
10. When did he arrive_________Moscow?
11. Nobody _________why people walk or talk in their sleep.
D. is knowing
12. _________that strange man sitting over there?
III. Read the text and answer the questions.
A safari park is like a large zoo, where the animals live in natural conditions. There are several safari parks in Britain and they are very popular places for visit. One of the most famous is at Windsor, which is close to London airport.
You can visit some parts of the safari park on foot. Here you can see the animals that are not dangerous, like giraffes, zebras, camels and antelopes. The animals walk around as if they were in Africa.
But safari parks also have lions, tigers, leopards and other dangerous animals. These cannot be kept with the other animals, because they would eat them. They would also eat the visitors, so they have to drive through the parts where animals live. You have to keep your windows closed and you must not get out of the car. It is not a good idea to take a new car into this part of the park, because the monkeys climb on the cars. They often scratch the paint and they sometimes pull aerials and windscreen wipers off.
Safari parks are much better than ordinary zoos, because the animals do not have to live in small cages.
1. How do the animals live in a safari park?
A. in large cages
B. in small cages
C. in natural conditions
D. in comfortable rooms
2. You can visit some parts of the safari park with non-dangerous animals_________________.
A. by car
B. by special bus
C. by little locomotive
D. on foot
3. How do the visitors have to behave in safari park?
A. They have to drive through the parks where dangerous animals live.
B. They have to keep their windows closed.
C. They must not get out of the car.
D. All variants are correct.
4. The dangerous animals__________________________________.
A. can eat non-dangerous animals
B. sometimes put aerials and windscreen wipers off
C. live with non-dangerous animals
D. live apart in small cages
5. What is the most beautiful safari park in Britain?
B. Blackpool safari park
C. Manchester safari park
D. We don’t know.
IV. Choose the correct translation
1. Когда он встает? – Обычно в половине восьмого.
a. When do he gets up? – Usually at half to eight.
b. When does he get up? – Usually at half past seven.
c. When is he getting up? – Usually at half past seven.
2. У меня нет ни братьев, ни сестер. Я единственный ребенок.
a. I haven’t got any brothers or sisters. I’m the only child.
b. I haven’t got no brothers or sisters. I’m alone child.
c. I have got not any brother and sisters. I’m an only children.
3. Я не голоден. Я хочу всего лишь тарелку супа на обед.
a. I don’t hungry. I just want a cup of soup for lunch.
b. I not hungry. I just wanting a bowl of soap for lunch.
c. I’m not hungry. I just want a bowl of soup for lunch.
4. Я был в Лондоне в 1996.
a. I was being in London in 1996.
b. I was in London in 1996.
c. I did be in London in 1996.
5. В моем районе много многоквартирных домов и супермаркет.
a. In my neighbourhood lots of blocks of flats and a supermarket.
b. There are lots of blocks of flats and a supermarket in my neighbourhood.
c. There stand in my neighbourhood lots of blocks of flats and a supermarket.
6. Я принимаю горячую ванну и слушаю радио.
a. I have a hot bath and listen to the radio.
b. I accept a hot bathroom and listen the radio.
c. I have a hot bathroom and listening to the radio.
7. На дорогах слишком много машин.
a. There are too many cars on the roads.
b. On the roads are too many cars.
c. Many cars are too enough on the roads.
8. .Муж моей сестры программист.
a. Husband’s my sister is a computer expert.
b. My sister husband is a computer expert.
c. My sister’s husband is a computer expert.
9. В холодильнике немного сыра, зато много помидоров.
a. In the fridge not many cheese but many tomatoes.
b. There are not many cheese but many tomatoes in the fridge.
c. There isn’t much cheese but there are many tomatoes in the fridge.
10. Какой у нее характер?
a. What is she like?
b. What does she like?
c. How is her character?
11. I eat chocolates while my boyfriend reads novels to me.
a. Я ем шоколадные конфеты, а мой друг читает мне романы.
b. Я покупаю шоколад, а мой друг романы для чтения.
c. Я ем шоколад, а мой друг читает мне нотации за это.
12. Children leave school when they are sixteen or eighteen.
a. Дети живут в школе до шестнадцати или восемнадцати.
b. Дети заканчивают школу в шестнадцать или восемнадцать лет.
c. Дети посещают школу, когда им шестнадцать или восемнадцать.
13. I’m looking for my glasses.
a. Я смотрю в мои очки.
b. Я осматриваю мои очки.
c. Я ищу свои очки.
14. A woman helps me with the housework and the cooking.
a. Женщина помогает мне делать уроки и кормит меня.
b. Женщина помогает мне по дому и готовит еду.
c. Женщина просит меня помочь ей убрать дом и сварить еду.
15. I usually stay at a friend’s flat.
a. Я всегда жду друга у его квартиры.
b. Я обычно стою у друга в квартире.
c. Я обычно останавливаюсь в квартире одного из моих друзей.